We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming to bring you a brand new update from Sean Kohli’s blog. This week the class has been working on finishing up our classroom building. Walls are being painted, posters hung up, plants being placed and so on. But where does that leave myself? I decided to work with a team that was looking to soundproof our (as I like to call it) studio room. I’ll walk you through how we worked on this
We started with researching different soundproofing methods since I had no idea how we were going to accomplish our goal. Once we found some good information we then evaluated how we could spend a small budget to effectively soundproof the studio. After looking at a couple of websites we found that we would have to think outside of the box because soundproofing can get very expensive. Our main focus was to seal the door and the wall that faces St. Mary’s Rd. in addition to the large glass windows.
Our best solution was to create wooden frames and sew towels to them so the sound wouldn’t bounce around the walls. To solve the problem of the window, we used some leftover soundproof foam from last semester. We used Velcro strips to easily remove the pieces from the windows when the room isn’t in use. As for the door, a patch was sewn on the doorknob so the sound waves wouldn’t travel through. To seal the bottom of the door, a “door snake” was made out of towels and Styrofoam pieces.
Now if I ever get into music as an adult, I know how to soundproof a room and do it on a budget! Although I won’t be using the studio much in the Propel room, I’m glad to have been a part of its creation. Once all of the classroom building is finished I’m looking forward to start the build process of my Red River warming hut.
Until next time!
“I’m going on an adventure!” That’s exactly how I felt last week after having an in-service on Monday and three field trips throughout the week! Unfortunately I also fell ill on the Friday of that week, so that’s why this blog post is late. Now that I am back at about 80% of healthy operating capacity its time to get back to work!
My first field trip from last week was with the Propel class and we travelled to the zoo in Assiniboine Park! The purpose of our trip was to learn about the sustainability of the zoo as well as learning more about issues surrounding Churchill Manitoba. Going through the journey to Churchill exhibit was a very eye opening experience, we got to see the different ways that our northern people face problems because of climate change. After we went through the tour we were tasked with finding a way to add some sustainability to the zoo. While we were there we saw that the zoo contracts a company to clean the inside of the polar bear water enclosure, my thought was to add some animals that clean the inside of fish tanks to the enclosure to clean the water. Thus eliminating the need to contract a separate company.
Wednesday’s field trip took me on a journey to Kelbrun Farm to volunteer at a program called “Agriculture in the Classroom” with my career development class called the Imagine Program. At the farm I was a guide for elementary students from all around the city. Being from the centre of the city, I haven’t been exposed to a lot of different agriculture experiences. This turned into a very eye opening field trip!
The last field trip of the week was quite somber at times. With the rest of the grade 12s from NMC, I went to Chapel Lawn Funeral home to witness a “Mock Car Crash.” The day was all about the effects of impaired driving, either with a cell phone or being under the influence of an illicit substance. Being a student that drives my self and my friends to and from events, it is always good to see the consequences of inappropriate actions reinforced.
Now that I am back to regular week in the Propel classroom, Its time to get back to work!
Until next time,
Here we are, back in the Propel program at Nelson McIntyre. For those reading this, you may recall that last year I made “vlogs” to demonstrate my progress throughout the semester. Well this year I have decided to make the change and start typing instead of filming.
Now that the elephant in the room has been addressed, we can proceed to current business! After an eventful summer it is time to get back into the regular school routine. Wake up, shower, eat breakfast, and head to school. Except, this semester things are different from what they’d usually be! As I already stated, I’m back in the Propel program along with several other students from last year! We have already started to get ourselves settled in with all the different orientations Mr. Patrician and Mr. Hansen had planned for us. Last Friday we took a trip to the exchange district in the heart of downtown Winnipeg for a team building activity at Epic Escape!
At the escape room we were tasked with diffusing a bomb before the hour ran out. Unfortunately my group wasn’t successful… However we persevered and worked as a team down to the last second! Now, you may be thinking, “They probably weren’t even close to solving the room.” Well that isn’t the case! We were only missing one number! To get to this point, we used knowledge from lots of previous experiences. I had knowledge from different escape rooms under my belt so I was able to use that to solve a couple puzzles. Even though we didn’t solve the room, we did get very close and we had a good time!
During this semester, once again I will focus my time towards the Red River Warming Hut. However instead of designing, I will be getting my hands dirty and building what I designed last year! I’m looking forward to another semester filled with great experiences and great people! Check out next weeks update for more progress!
Until next time!