After a break of weekly blog writing in the Propel classroom, I’m back with an abundance of stories! This week I have been able to leave the classroom for some learning exploration as well I had the chance to donate blood to Canadian Blood Services. During my time outside of school I was also very involved in different physical activities throughout the week.
I also had a great breakthrough with my project this week. It started it with a simple inquiry to Mr. Wagner about a conversation we had previously about a provided spot on the river trail for my warming hut. This Inquiry led to working with Mr. Wagner and Ms. Smallwood on contacting The Forks and gathering some more information on how to proceed with development and construction of the project.
During the next few days and over the weekend I will be writing and developing documents to submit to The Forks about my warming hut. Once that is finished I’ll move back into SketchUp and continue framing.
Here we are, at the origins of my 2016-17 Propel project. Although I am still planning out how to construct the warming hut, Last year I spent my semester on Google SketchUp designing an interior, exterior and an overall theme. Now I am using SketchUp to essentially make 3D graphical blueprints to construct the warming hut.
We started out this week with some inspiration from Mr. Patrician. He is currently reading a book called Creativity Inc. by Edwin Catwell and Amy Wallace. The book is about harnessing and managing creativity. He picked out a specific exert from the book about the experience Pixar had when developing Monsters Inc. (2001). This exert relates extraordinarily well to the Propel program. I found that the students in Gr. 11 viewed the content differently from the Gr. 12 students. Reading this exert as a student that’s already been through the Propel program a made many connections relating to the previous semester. Hearing the perspective of professionals who work entirely to be creative was very eye opening, especially when hearing about their failures and how they overcame them.
Using SketchUp is beginning to bring back more memories of my old work in the Propel classroom. To start designing frames, I researched different sizes of lumber sizes that I could work with. Then I booted up one of my old SketchUp files of my warming hut and pulled all the pieces apart to start measuring. I will be soon ready to start construction of the warming hut!
Wait, what’s this? Two blog posts in one week! During this week in the Propel world we’ve all been very busy! We started the week with designing and brainstorming ideas for our projects. In the latter half of this week we started our initial drafts for technical proposals. My draft was something I thought would be easy and simple since I have previous experience writing this type of document, I was sadly mistaken.
Even though I have drafted and written this type of document before, I have been struggling more than I thought I would. Since my project revolves around last years work of designing a Red River warming hut, I am having trouble adapting and evolving the content to sound new, but also have a sense of reflection without sounding like I’m reusing content. Quite the interesting writing style, but the importance of this document demands it.
Yesterday we took a break from the project design process, and went to The Forks for an adventure. We were tasked with using a program in the Microsoft Office suite called SWAY, to create a presentation that tells a story of The Forks. Taylor, Shayla, and myself created a story called “Who is Sean Kohli: At The Forks.” This presentation is about a man named Sean Kohli who takes a trip to The Forks and goes to some of his favourite attractions. Besides learning this new program, we also learned about photojournalism.
We are almost ready to start working on our projects. Once the technical proposals are finished, its time to get to work! Now we are at the end of the week heading into Thanksgiving weekend! Over the weekend I’ll be heading out to Luther Village for a retreat. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!
After a period of classroom building, we’ve all started brainstorming and developing ideas about our projects. Some of us have really hit the ground running, and are developing really great ideas. Being the third iteration of the program, I’m expecting to see some projects that either repeat, or are very similar to work of previous students.
This semester I will be building off of a whole semesters worth of work, quite literally in fact. Since last semester I designed a Red River warming hut. I started out my brainstorming with a couple big picture goals already in mind. Mr. Hansen and Patrician had been thinking of using recycled materials in my project to reduce cost and add an environmentally friendly element to the build. I thought of making the design modular, to make the construction, transportation, and overall process easier.
With these seeds planted, I needed to do some research, elaborate on them so that they would grow. Thinking that this would be the hardest task, I started out by researching for a place to purchase recycled materials. Within my first Google search I was able to find a suitable retailer for recycled products. Cost, that’s another mountain to climb within this project. Admittedly, my project will be very expensive, so Mr. Patrician suggested that I should try to get an approximation of what the Warming Hut would cost, to do that I sent an email over to a local construction company about an approximate quote on the project. I am currently awaiting their response.
I’m very excited that we’ve finally started to get working on our project work for the semester. Being in this environment always inspires me, and seeing everyone working towards their big ideas makes me feel like this is definitely a superior model of education. With that in mind, lets break some eggs!